Thursday, August 7, 2014

Planning Meals for Your Next Camping Trip



Summer has always meant family adventures and camping in the beautiful Pacific Northwest to me. Though as a mom, it also means a lot of work. The kids love camping and it can be a struggle to figure out what to feed them without resorting to processed junk.

I have been asked several times what I take on these trips. I try to prep as much as possible before we leave as it is much easier to cook in my kitchen at home than over a camp stove or fire pit. I have a few staples that my kids enjoy, such as dried fruit for snacks and hot dogs on a stick. I pair these with whatever vegetables I find available and a special treat or two.

Here is what I packed on our latest two-day adventure in the woods:

Breakfast:
hard boiled eggs
oatmeal (my son and husband insist on this every morning)
blueberries


Lunch:
peanut butter sandwhiches
greens with canned tuna
vegetable sticks
bananas

Dinner:
curried cauliflower
sweet potato hash
precooked hamburgers
Applegate hot dogs

Snacks and Treats:
dried fruit and vegetables (beets, carrots, mango, peaches)
nuts (soaked and dried)
homemade beef jerky
chocolate chip cookies


No comments:

Post a Comment