Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Finding Safe Products for your Skin and Hair

A 2009 study out of the UK states that the average woman wears 515 chemicals on her body every day. Most women are unaware of the toxicity of their healthy and beauty products. Have you every wondered what was in your shampoo or lipstick?

Until my doctor mentioned heavy metal toxicity I had not considered the ingredients in the products I used every day. Now that I am aware I make most of my products, using primarily coconut oil, clay, baking soda and vinegar.

For those of you who do not have the time or inclination to do this, the Environmental Working Group has a new website and phone app that will make your search for non-toxic products much easier.  Skin Deep is a data base of nearly 70,000 products. Each product will contain a picture, description, ingredient list and toxicity rating. Products can be searched by name or category.  My favorite piece of this fantastic site is that the phone app allows you to simply scan the UPS in the store and have this information instantly at your disposal. The research has been done for you making the search of safer toiletries easier than ever.




No comments:

Post a Comment